Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Recently


Hi there - Bethany here.  Remember me?  Mom's been doing a bang-up job of picking up my slack while I've been totally checked out.  Back to reality really did suck after a lovely 10-day vacation at Bethany Beach!  We rested, relaxed, shivered a little in the mid-September chill, tried to eat our way back to our pre-goal weight enjoying all of our favorite food haunts and just plain savored the low-traffic atmosphere of the beach post tourist season.  The dogs had the time of their lives as well.

As I mentioned, my Uncle and family graciously opened their home to us for the week and we couldn't be more appreciative.  Wilma ran out into the bay every time we opened the door, we lounged on the deck soaking in the views and watched tons of movies at night.  Really catching up on things we've managed to breeze over during the course of a busy year.


I wanted to share some of our views and the beautiful home my family has made at Bethany.  My Uncle designed and built this house years ago, an architect by trade but clearly good taste has transcended the test of time as all the original fixtures and furniture are still relevant.  The house is a wood-siding contemporary and decorated with quite a mix of mid-century and beachy items.  You instantly feel at home when you walk in the door. Situated right on the bay, it's the perfect spot.  Uncle Jack positioned the house just so that all of the windows all around the house can be opened to utilize the cross breezes from both the ocean and the bay.  My late Aunt layered in beautiful navy batik and Chinois fabrics on the pillows and linens (sorry, I forgot to get a picture of them) which also stay relevant somehow!







My Aunt Noma was a wonderful artist and most of her work is proudly displayed throughout the home.  Do you spy one of Mom's silkscreens in the vignette?  Noma was always super supportive of Mom during her art career, which endeared her to us even more. 


The view from the back of the house is really something, overlooking Assawoman Bay (a name we had a hayday with as kids, feeling like we were breaking all kinds of codes saying it out loud!), which spans from Delaware down to Maryland.  A great blue awning provides shade from the late day sun that bounces off the water. The neighborhood that houses this spot has become overrun with really nondescript, super-sized homes with grey metal siding which makes this charmer stand out even more. 







We were so thankful for our time here. 


The week following vacation was one of my toughest.  We finished up a kitchen design project, met with some new clients, juggled a trip to the vet with a sick Wilmy, competed in a dog show with Seamus this past weekend and decided to downsize our beloved family SUV for something smaller and better on gas.  Talk about easing back into it...not! To top it all off, Mom is gearing up for a spur-of-the-moment trip to Italy for two weeks so things remain in constant flux!  I'm trying to find some time to breathe and remember our lovely restful week at the beach and gear up for a new month ahead.  I'm feeling like I'm neglecting so many things because of all of our commitments lately, and haven't had much time to celebrate and share our life's excitements.  What I'd really like to do is to have a rainy, chilly day and hole up in bed with the first 3 seasons of Downton Abbey.  Mother nature, you listening?

I hope this month brings lots of good excitement for you too.  Meanwhile, I'll be practicing my breathing techniques and trying not to get sick.



14 comments:

  1. Followed you IG so I didn't miss out much - love your Uncle's home - I guess great designing does run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always so hard to come back after such a great vacation. Glad you all got to really relax and enjoy. And at least you are coming back to some awesome projects! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take your time and let that pressured feeling go away...you don't need it!
    You have a wonderfully artistic family.
    Is Wilma feeling better? How did Seamus do in the show?
    Tell your mom that I'm so jealous of her trip to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the perfect spot to chill-ax. I love all of the artwork too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you some awful weather, because Downton is sooooooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great time away, Bethany! You'll be back in the swing before you know it! :) Love your photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos especially those adorable pooches!!!
    Best,
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. The place sounds (and looks) like a dream. I enjoyed following you & the pouches on insta!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some time at the beach sounds fantastic. Had fun seeing your images on the insta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky to have this home in your family. Those views are amazing. How cute are your dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beautiful home! So lucky you can spend time there....I'm sure it recharges you in every possible way. Your pups I think had the best time...so fab that your mom is going to Italy! My favorite country in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pics, B! The dogs look like they have found their bliss. I hope Wilma Applesauce feels better and that things ease up for you soon. Here's hoping for that perfect snuggle-in, rainy fall day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous home. Your vacation sounds so nice. Too bad you weren't able to ease back into normal life when you got back- goodness! Hope you get your Downton Abby day one of these days- I'm totally feeling that idea too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and support our blog! You all make our day!