Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tag, You're It!

Mom's tag post got me nostalgic for a good ole' chain lettter!  Here's my take.

1.  Who is your favorite designer?

Hard to narrow it down!  I love somewhat-local designer, Jan Roden out of Charlottesville, VA.  I also love Celerie Kemble.  I definitely love the glamour of Jan Showers, too!  I think the great thing about blogs being so ubitquitous these days is that you get to see all the best pieces from all these different designers - all great in their own right.





2. Who has influenced your design style the most?

So the easy answer is my mom, because I grew up watching her rearrange our furniture and our home all the time.  Sometimes, I'd come home from school and my bed would be in a different place - I loved it!  But I think my maternal grandmother had the most influence over my style.  She had a Hepburn-like timelessness with a tendency towards tailored, but also an ecleclic side with paintings, sculptures and jewelry from her travels.  I love to have her things in my home today, and often laugh with mom when we see modern decor elements that look like things my 'Nonnie' had 40 years ago.



3. What is your decorating style?

When we started the blog, I sat down with my collected images (mostly from Pinterest) and analyzed the ones that were the most 'me'.  I came up with 'moody eclectic with a touch of traditional' (ahhh - that 'traditional' part still scares me!)

                                                              
                     One of my favorite interiors - very moody! 

4.What is your favorite decorating/ home store?

and George in Charlottesville, VA and Random Harvest in Old Town Alexandria, Georgetown and Bethesda.

5.What is the hardest project you ever tried?

Believe it or not, hanging drapes!  Getting the rod dead straight and level was no joke!

6.Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

If I'm being optimistic, I'd like to have my current home published in a few small-scale design pubs!  I believe I'll still be pounding away at my day job, but I think 5 years will make mom and I a lot closer to our dream of opening a decor boutique and designing full-time.  I'd also hope to have moved on from our darling cottage to something with a bit more land, so I can have my horses steps from my house!

7.If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

This answer would probably change from year to year, but I would really like to like in Charlottesville or Orange, Virginia.  A bit removed from the rat-race of Northern Virginia and right in the heart of horse country!  For now, though, my job dictates that I be close to the technology corridor in No. VA and DC.


                                                                                          Source: greylikesweddings.com via Bethany on Pinterest



8. What is your ideal vacation?

Two weeks at our family home in Bethany Beach.  Some years, the hubs and I only get one week in, but some years we can squeeze in a two-weeker.  Those are my FAVORITE times.  Waking up late, chocolate croissants, sun all day long and wonderful fresh dinners!


                                                                                     Source: townofbethanybeach.com


9.What is your favorite women's fashion store?

I'd have to say Nordstrom.  It's like the Swiss Army Knife of stores.  I can run in to get a new lipstick, a fabulous pair of pumps and a cute top.  It's a bit like CVS though… you never come out with only the one item you went in for.

10.What program(s), if any, do you use to make a Design inspiration board?

I have been using Live Quartz and Gimp on my Mac, but recently made the switch to Olioboard and have been amazed at how much quicker it makes the process go.

11.If you won $30,000 to spend on your home, what would you do?

Oh boy - I don't think I could make up my mind.  I'd love to enlarge my kitchen and put a window on our back wall so I can look out while cooking.  I'd like to make our living room larger, into more of a greatroom complete with fireplace.  I'd also like a sunroom/screened in patio to entertain in.  Oh, or maybe a new master closet by California Closets so my shoes have proper homes :)



So I've picked some folks to play along (I know, it deserves an eye-roll, but it's been a few years since chain mails were en vogue on Facebook, so maybe you miss them?).

The rules:

1. You must post the rules.
2. Answer the 11 questions the tagger posted for you and then create 11 new questions to ask the people you've tagged.
3. Tag 11 people and link them in your post.
4. Let them know you have tagged them. 

Your 11 questions to answer:

1 - What is your favorite fabric de jour?
2 - What one decor item would you splurge on? Details PUH-LEASE!
3 - If you could pay someone to help you with a room in your house, what room would it be? Who would you hire to decorate it (money is no object….)?
4 - Best dish you make at home?
5 - What item can you not live without?
6 - What is currently in your purse?
7 - Favorite pair of jeans?
8 - What is your ideal breakfast?
9 - Where would you like to go on your next vacation?
10 - Who do you admire most?
11 - Dogs or cats?

Tag, You're it! 







Goodluck gal pals!


-Bethany

5 comments:

  1. Loved learning more about you, Bethany! I am a huge fan of Jan Showers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO LOVELY PICS:) I really like your blog ..there is so much nice inspiration.
    I wish you a great and sunny week:)

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks for the tag. I'm really flattered. Someone else tagged me too and I'm contemplating sharing my answers. I already feel like I write too much about myself on my blog. But I do like your questions.

    I love me some Olioboard. I use a cross between that and Polyvore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Like Irene I was tagged by someone else too so I'm thinking I'll combine in a post. I know I always enjoy learning a little about my blogger pals. Thank you for including me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and support our blog! You all make our day!