Monday, July 25, 2016

A Quick Vacation to Chi-town


A few weeks ago I took a quick trip to Chicago to visit my son, who is in grad school at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and his long time girl friend.  The morning of my flight I said to Bethany, "I sure wish you were coming with me".  20 minutes later she booked a last minute flight that came in at the same time as mine from a different airport and we totally shocked Michael, who had no idea Bethany was coming. 
 It was the greatest time having my kids with me 'en totale' again; one of those "mom" moments when all is right with the world.  
We literally checked off the entire list of all things touristy in Chicago, within the two days Bethany was there.  I stayed four, and took a slower pace once she left, doing things Mike, Lauren and I love to do, like meandering through art museums and going to see the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

The architecture, the wonderful boutiques, coffee shops and side streets outside the city in Wicker Park were fascinating. I am not a city girl, but enjoy all the sights and sounds of a bustling city, as a visitor and I especially enjoy the cultural aspects and flagship stores!

Here are some highlights and special moments!



 [The view from the 95th floor at the John Hancock building.]

[ Such phenomenal architecture all around.]

[The Art Institute of Chicago was fabulous,
with a Frank Gehry building just across the park.]

 [Loved this painting: The Big Red Ball by Ellen Lanyon]

 [...and of course a Picasso or two]

[The Ralph Lauren store was so dreamy.]

[The Restoration Hardware store was amazing 
as we shopped with Prosecco in hand.  This was the RH cafe.]

 [We took in a Cubs vs. Pirates game at Wrigley Field,
 a venue on my bucket list.]




I had never been to Chicago before and it was really a treat. 

I hope you're doing something fun this summer! 

 Have you been on vacation?


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a great time in my favorite home city! I still consider it home since this was where we first settled when we migrated to the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We love Chicago and are looking forward to going in 2017. Love the last image!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and support our blog! You all make our day!