Monday, May 23, 2016

Favorite Room Inspiration and a Stencil


Greetings! I am coming out from under a raincloud to share some inspiration.  It has been raining in Northern Virginia for 17 of the first 22 days of May with record cool temps.  We are in serious need of sunshine here!

I'm looking for some dining room chairs for a client and came across this gorgeous room from Anthropologie.  Stripes are ALWAYS timeless.


What do you think?

On another note, I just finished stenciling a powder room for a client in addition to adding 12 window treatments, assorted pillows and a gorgeous grasscloth papered study.  I haven't stenciled in years and this fabulous stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils made my life much easier.  The client opted out of wallpaper in favor of painting the wall, but I recommended a tone on tone stenciled look to amp up the design factor.  I used semi gloss paint over flat paint, in the same color, Sherwin Williams Red Theater.  
It is very sophisticated, yet subtle.


 Of course there was a learning curve and the most tedious part was cleaning the stencil.  I learned that rinsing it with Formula 409 every 3rd use made quick work of the process as opposed to just rinsing with water or letting it sit in the sink for a few minutes while I worked on touching up the wall. Do not let the paint set on the stencil to harden! It is so hard to scrape off at that point. The website recommends getting 2 or 3 stencils so while one is being cleaned, you can keep on stenciling-note to self for future projects!  The cleaning and drying (of the stencil) process added about 30 minutes for every hour of stenciling- adding quite alot of time to what I thought would be a quick project.  This tone on tone affect using the same color paint is very forgiving and keeps you from obsessing over any irregularities.



Are you getting into spring projects?  

I hope you are having a great sunny spring! 

Happy Memorial Day weekend.


4 comments:

  1. Love stripes, and the example above with the clean lines is classic contemporary. Love the stencil too Nancy, never thought of having it done that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE that stenciled treatment. It is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stencil came out great Nancy! No surprise with you at the helm. It is tedious though, but worth it in the end right? I did stripes in flat and high gloss of the same color once, I love the effect, a subtle but interesting detail.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and support our blog! You all make our day!