Monday, March 24, 2014

Ceiling treatment and my aching neck!


I have had so much fun using our guest room as my designer "test kitchen" for a ceiling treatment.  I swore last time we painted ceilings that I wouldn't do it again, since I seem to be sore down through my spine for weeks.  But, I almost can't help myself! The opportunity presented itself, and this is what I did, no less than 5 different times painting the ceiling.  I did drag it out for 2-3 weeks so I could heal in between sessions, but this can't be good, at my age.

1. ceilings same color as the wall (BM Cumulus Cloud)


 2. taping off a border 


 3. painting the outer border a medium gray (BM River Relections)


 4. taping another border and painting the edge the wall color again.


5. painting the center the darkest gray (BM Equestrian Gray)


6. experimenting with tape lines to show possible dark paint lines between colors


7. painting the entire outer border the medium gray ( and realized that the dark in the center looked like the ceiling was falling).


8. then painted the center the wall color, so it's lightest in the center. Do you believe this center color is the same as the wall color? Yep.




I'm either:
 1. a very slow learner, 2. couldn't imagine the exact effect- even when drawn out on paper, 3. a glutton for punishment ,4. fickle or 5. my worst client! I admit to all of the above. I may still do a little more accenting, but I did get my new fixtures up! It is really fun to try things out in my own home so I have more experience in what to suggest for clients.

I may be done with ceiling painting for a while....maybe!




23 comments:

  1. Nancy, A fickle artist, you say? Perhaps … but this is what makes you good!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! My neck hurts just thinking about that. It is an interesting treatment and I think the lighter color in the center is best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain but the result is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is super fabulous!!!! I love your signature ceilings! No pain, no gain :) just kidding. Luv y'all xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yowza! you deserve a massage. or two! looks fantastic though...well worth it (I think) now go book that massage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! There is no way that I would ever have done that! I love the effect and your new light fixture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes i like painting but ceilings are TORTURE! this is a really cool treatment. I'm a fan of ceilings the same color as walls but had never thought of taping off designs like this. so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks awesome! I cannot stand painting the ceiling...yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I use to do decorative painting I dreaded the ceiling treatment! you always end up with a neck ache or back ache, but the results are worth it, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you are brave!! I haven't really attempted anything so ambitious. The hardest thing I ever did re: ceilings is when we moved in, our dining room ceiling had been "faux" finished with tissue paper. Yeah, awful. So trying to peel and sand that stuff off about set me over the edge. I eventually had to call in a professional.

    I can't visualize stuff like that very well either. Experimenting seems like the way to go. It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good gracious woman! Now that is a lot of work. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so good! I hope you aren't too sore! I love a painted ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just telling Kris about me not painting the ceiling ever again because we my hubs and I had sore necks afterwards! LOL! Just relax, grab your warm compress or ice pack, lie down, and enjoy the gorgeous result of your handiwork, after a while, you'll forget that darn neck pain and just be plain happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH My GOODNESS! Your poor neck! This looks awesome though. Way to stick with it! I painted our guest room ceiling coral and it was a major pain in the butt. GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's commitment Nancy! Those variations of color really give the room some depth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Nancy. This is impressive. Go treat yourself to a massage. My neck hurts just thinking about it. It looks fantastic, so hopefully you will forget about the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing it is decieving because it looks as if the ceiling has different levels,very clever ladies!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. After sanding the plank ceiling in my kitchen, and then painting it, and sanding again (I still need to repaint), I know your pain. I never thought about doing something like this. It looks great and adds a lot of interest.

    It's also funny to see people zero in on the same colors. River Reflections was the color of my last house. And the trim was Cumulus Cloud. Two beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Take care of your neck!! But I think it was worth it. It looks super and I love the pendants adding that pop of color against the fab ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nancy, good for you for trying this custom design! I've painted ONE ceiling and will never do it again. It was horrible and like you, I was so for days. I hope you rest now;) and maybe have help next time! xxL

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks great Nancy, and you are one hardworking lady! I need to lie on my couch just to think about painting that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, your persistence paid off - it looks awesome and totally custom!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and support our blog! You all make our day!