Wednesday, November 13, 2013

ahhhhh....Venice!


The last leg of my three week journey to Italy last month was to the city of Venice.  It was pure heaven.  I loved Rome and Florence, but Venice was just so dreamy and different. The water aspect (no cars on the island of Venice) was so alluring.  The beautiful wooden boats and the vastness of water between the islands just made it idyllic. I cannot believe I took these pictures and was there just two weeks ago.











This city of water and bridges and its maze of alleyways and side streets that barely a cart can fit through, made me awestruck to think it has been inhabited since the 10th century BC.  I love how old European cities are!  Venice is compiled of 118 small islands. We stayed on the island of Lido which is more residential and a seaside resort town where Venetians often had their summer homes. It was about a 45 min water taxi ride to the main island. 
Another favorite day was spent on the island of Murano where the infamous hand blown glass is made. (post to follow soon)  We spent another day on Burano, where they make lace.  The beauty of Burano lies in the famous colorful houses, the quaint cafes, a limited number of inhabitants, and the artisans creating lace, an art that the younger generation is not perpetuating.





It was amazing how clean the water is in Venice and that it didn't smell of mold and dampness.  I really have to pinch myself that I was able to see these cities first hand.  Ever since I got home I've been in a place of gratitude and inspiration. The art, the food, the ambiance, the adventure-- are all experiences I wish for you.

ciao!





20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous images Nancy! What an amazing place - cannot wait to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos. I love Venice, this makes me want to make another trip!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it with the word "dreamy". I loved Venice and hope I get the chance to go back someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember...it was truly breathtaking! So happy for you that had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are so beautiful and I am so jealous. Hope to make it there myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Nancy, I loved Venice too! The photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous, I've always wanted to go to Venice. And it doesn't look too crowded in your photos! People often talk about the bad smell there, I guess you went on a good day(s)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure in the heat of the summer there might be a smell, but October was the perfect time to go-no crowds and mild weather!

      Delete
  8. SOOO gorgeous, Nancy!! Your photos are stunning! Did you like staying on the Lido? I have been curious about staying on one of the islands rather that in the heart of Venice. And, lucky you to get to Murano and Burano - we didn't have time.

    Thank you SO much for sharing your trip with us...it was a spectacular one!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are just so beautiful! I can't believe they are real!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nancy, I loved seeing your beautiful pictures of Venice! Twenty eight years ago my husband and I were married on the rooftop of the Hotel Danieli overlooking the Grand Canal. We visited Venice again two years ago and had a great time. I am on my way to check out the other post on your trip and I am now a GFC follower.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had no idea venice was a series of 118 islands. thank you for sharing such lovliness!
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish it for me too!!! Love it all Nancy!!!! Glad you had a majestic time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such gorgeous images! I cannot imagine how wonderful it was to experience in person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos...love the colors of all the old buildings. I've been to Italy twice, but haven't made it to Venice...hopefully next time! Elle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos of a beautiful city! I love that you mention how grateful you are to have had the opportunity to visit. Sometimes we take things for granted but I think our experiences are richer when we acknowledge how lucky we are!

    ReplyDelete
  16. such gorgeous photos! i've been to Italy, but never Venice. This makes me want to go back!! I missed out... New follower xxm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Nancy ... this is what I dream of!! To me it is like a "disney" destination ... that's as close as I've been able to get to Venice! I would constantly have to pinch myself!! Thank you for sharing this beautiful visual treat!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and support our blog! You all make our day!