Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Into Action Progress


Well, I thought I'd have more to show for my progress report on my breakfast area make-up ( not really a make over, just adding "cosmetics"!)

 I did get the new chandelier hung today with help from Bethany and my husband. I can often change out fixtures myself, but this one required extra hands, and patience. The wires would not thread into the tubes easily but kept getting hung up on bumps inside the tubes...very frustrating.


out with the old...




The shade had to be attached to the links of pipe as it was assembled which was tricky!

.....in with the new

The bad news is, the shade got "crimped"  in the process, and is very noticeable.  
I'll contact the manufacturer for a replacement, but Im also thinking of covering the shade in the meantime..we'll see!  Here is the damaged shade.

Does anyone have a solution to getting out "crimps" in the plastic of a shade???  HELP!!

Check out the "undaunted dozen's" progress on their blogs:


Kerry at Design du Monde
Suzy at Saved by Suzy
Tiffany at  Living Savvy
Cathy at Room Rx
Carrie at Hazardous Design

Next on my list is reupholstering the dining chairs, making a valance, and adding trim to the draperies.  
The final room reveal will happen April 19th!  Stay tuned!

~Nancy

15 comments:

  1. I like that fixture. I hate dealing with all the wires and stuff, too. You could try a blow-dryer on the shade. Start off on a medium heat and play with it. Be careful, it could be an epic failure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Linda, she's full of great ideas, I was thinking heat might be the answer too. Good luck, the fixture is a great choice!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fixture. I am no help on shade repairs - but it looks like Linda is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lighting is gorgeous. At least you know how to wire and hang them yourself. I am so woozy on the tiniest step ladder that it would do me no good to try hanging my own lighting.
    Good luck with everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that new fixture! Wish I had a solution for the "crimp". If you come up with one let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heat was my first thought also - go slow & good luck! I can hang regular fixtures, but chandeliers weigh more and kind of overwhelm me. Your new light is beautiful (and I loooove your dark blue walls)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a pretty piece, Nancy! Linda's idea of using heat makes sense. Be careful with it, naturally, not too close, you do not want to burn/melt anything. I love the skill level - knowing how to take down and install a light fixture is on my list of things to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful addition, love the fun series! Sorry about the crimp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fixture. Don't you hate it when that kind of thing happens. I have a crimp in my lampshade in the family room and it drives me nuts. Mine was created by leaving a candle underneath the lamp (I know, not good!) and the heat melted the inside and caused it to retract.

    Look forward to the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's so frustrating. And it's happened to me to so if you find a good solution I hope you'll share it with us!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the new fixture! Sorry about the crimp - so frustrating! Anyway, I can't wait to see the room next week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the fixture.. but I have no clue how to fix that shade problem. I usually just turn that side to the wall! Ha.. can't do that in this case. If you do get a great tip please share!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am seriously excited for the reveal! I think yours is going to rock!
    xo Becca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes, I don't know how to fix crimps in a lampshade, but I'd sure love to know how the blow dryer solution a couple commenters suggested works out if you end up trying it. All in all, it looks like you've made great progress and I'm really looking forward to your big reveal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and support our blog! You all make our day!